With Navy Life comes moving every few years! And it’s our time to move again and we’re moving to JAPAN AGAIN!!
115 days!!! WHOA! We’ll still have a few more weeks after we move out of this house before we get to Japan. But I must say, 115 days is going to fly by!
We’ve done a few things already to prep for moving to Japan.
- sold one of our cars – my husband’s main reason for going back to Japan is to buy a car there
- sold our house – we didn’t want the hassle of renting it while we were away
- Overseas Screenings completed – This is the Navy’s way of making sure you are in good health and any medical/dental issues you might have will be able to be taken care of overseas
- purged a lot of our things – going from owning an almost 3000 square foot house to renting a 1200 square foot house helped
- Family Entry Approval is taken care of – If you want more questions about this I can ask my husband but I don’t know much.
- started a list of things to buy before we move – There’s plenty of shopping in Japan but they don’t have Target and Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby.
- started lists of what will go in which shipments – The Navy allows one small Express Shipment for things that you’ll need quickly after you arrive. And a Household Goods shipment for everything else.
- bought new luggage for the kids – They each got a small suitcase and matching bag for Christmas!
This list of things still to do before we leave is quite a bit longer.
- purge the house even more – I don’t want to have to unpack junk (i.e. kid’s old toys, holiday decor I’m not in love with, clothes that don’t fit)
- passports – figure out if we need No-Fee Government passports or just our tourist passports
- schedule the pack-out – movers will come and box everything up into shipping crates and get it all to Japan for us.
- household inventory – In case anything happens, I need to make a list and take pictures of all our big ticket items
- overseas screenings – these are only good for a year so we’ll need to have another check-up and form completed soon
- create a PCS (permanent change of station) binder – so I can keep track of everything related to the move
- update our important documents binder – I have an expanding file binder that I keep everything in and it needs to be updated
- get a Power of Attorney – this will be required for me to get anything done in Japan
- get copies of records – see what can be transferred or what needs hand-carried
- sell washer and dryer – we will be loaned a set for our time in Japan
- sell car
- forward mail – we have things sent to my Grandma’s until we have our new address in Japan
- work on my bucket list of things to see and do before we leave Virginia
And that’s all I can think of for now! I know it will get much more detailed as we get closer to our move date. Have you ever done any overseas move? Do you have any life changing advice to offer? This will be our second BIG Navy move but that doesn’t make me any less nervous/stressed than our first move!! Wish me luck!